The aesthetic importance of eyes cannot be undermined. When you look at a person’s face, the first thing you notice about them are their eyes. You may not be blessed with a gorgeous pair of eyes or perhaps as a consequence of aging, the youthful appearance of your eyes might have faded. But worry not, because eyelid surgery offers a solution to your problems. Eyelid surgery also known as Blepharoplasty, removes extra fat from around your eye to make you look younger. It can effectively improve the appearance of your eyes by eradicating visible signs of aging on your upper and lower eyelids.
Before and After Results
The results of Blepharoplasty (lower eyelid blepharoplasty, double eyelid surgery & upper eyelid surgery) are refreshing and give a youthful appearance to your eyes. The outcomes are permanent. No Guarantee, as the results may vary from person to person.
Are You a Good Candidate?
You may be an excellent candidate for eyelid surgery in Dubai if:
- You have excess skin and fine line on your upper eyelids.
- You have excess fat deposits on upper eyelids.
- You have bags under your eyes.
- You have drooping lower eyelids.
- You have excess skin and fine lines below your eyes.
- You are a healthy individual with no life threatening ailment.
- You are not suffering from any serious eye condition.
- You are non-smoker.
- You have realistic expectations with the surgery.
Eyelid Surgery Goals
The goal of this surgery is improving the appearance of your eyes by:
- Eradicating visible signs of aging like puffiness, fine lines, wrinkles and excess fat on upper eyelids.
- Removing aging signs on lower eyelids like lines, droopiness and bags.
- Giving more rested and youthful appearance to your eyes.
- Restoring vision affected by droopy upper eyelids.
Eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty in Dubai, is a cosmetic procedure that enhances the appearance of the upper and lower eyelids. Non-surgical options that eradicate visible signs of aging around the eyes are also available. These options are:
- Botox injections – Botox is a muscle relaxer that is injected in few sites around the eyes to eradicate lines and wrinkles and restore the youthful appearance of eyes.
- Injectable fillers – They are the fillers that are injected around the eyes to remove lines and are also helpful for removing eye bags.
- Fat injections – This treatment involves injecting your own body fat, taken from some other area of the body, under the eyes to remove eye bags and improve the aesthetic appearance of eyes.
Eyelid Surgery Techniques
Eyelid surgery in Dubai can be performed using various techniques which include:
- Upper eyelid surgery: It is performed on upper eyelids to remove the sagging skin, excess fat and lines.
- Lower eyelid surgery: It is performed on lower eyelids to remove puffiness, fine lines and under eye bags.
- Combined upper and lower eyelid surgery: When surgery is performed on both the eyelids simultaneously, it is called combined upper and lower blepharoplasty.
During your pre-op visit, our plastic surgeon will review your medical history, discuss the options available and will enlighten you on the process. He will also provide thorough list of pre-surgical instructions. Some steps that you will have to take prior to surgery are:
- Get the required lab tests done.
- Stop smoking for about six weeks or as recommended by the surgeon as it can affect healing process.
- Take the prescribed medications regularly and make adjustments in current medications.
- Discontinue the use of herbal supplements, aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Follow the recommended diet regimen and eat healthy food.
Eyelid Surgery Procedure
The latest procedure of Blepharoplasty in Dubai is performed on outpatient basis and it may take up to three hours. Following is the step by step description of surgery.
- The first step of the procedure is administration of anesthesia. It is mostly performed under local anesthesia but general anesthesia can also be used as an option.
- Then the surgeon will make incision in the suitable site depending on the type of surgery.
- For upper eyelid surgery, incision is made in the natural crease of upper eyelid.
- For lower eyelid surgery, incision is made either just below the lash line or inside the lower eyelid.
- Then required alterations are made in the upper and lower eyelids. The alterations include:
- Removal of excess fat tissue in upper and lower eyelids.
- Removal of excess skin on upper and lower eyelids.
- Removal of excess muscles.
- Through incision made inside the lower eyelid, only excess fat in lower eyelid is removed.
- Finally incisions are closed using stitches.
Our Eyelid Surgeons
Dr Masroor Alam
Dr Thomas Colson
Dr. Ken Arashiro
Eyelid Surgery Benefits
There are many aesthetic, functional and psychological benefits of this treatment. Here are some of them.
- It makes your eyes more refreshed and rejuvenated.
- It will make you look more vibrant even without makeup.
- It restores the vision obscured by sagging eyelids.
- It boosts your self-esteem and confidence and improves the quality of your life.
Experiencing temporary inability to close your eyelids completely is one of the most common complications that you might experience as a result of getting this procedure. It may happen due to the dryness of your eyes. Prescribed eye drops and other suggested remedies can assist you in this situation. However, you should contact your doctor if the condition prolongs for 2 to 3 months.
Some other potential risks may include:
- Eyelid infection
- Observable surgical scarring
- Dry eyes
- Over-correction (removing too much skin)
- Double vision due to the issue with eye alignment
- Numbness of the eyelids
- Malpositioned eyelids
- Under-correction (not removing enough of the excessive skin)
- Vision loss from retrobulbar hemorrhage
Suggestion – Don’t hesitate to call your surgeon if you are experiencing any of the above issues.
Eyelid Surgery Recovery
It is comfortable and easy for most of the patients to recover from eyelid surgery in Dubai. Your recovery period may be like:
- Just after the surgery, you will experience tightness or pulling sensation.
- You will have to use pain medications for about 2 to 5 days after surgery.
- Dryness and irritation in the eyes will subside in 1 to 2 weeks after surgery.
- Swelling and bruising will begin to resolve at the end of first week but resolution may take 2 to 3 weeks.
- You will be able to resume wearing makeup in 7 to 10 days and wearing contact lenses within 2 to 3 weeks.
- You will be able to return to your work after 1 to 2 weeks.
- Complete recovery may require few months.
Our surgeon will provide a thorough list of post-surgical instructions but here are some common ones:
- Use cold compresses to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Keep your eyes clean.
- Keep your head elevated while resting or sleeping.
- Use eye drops to lubricate your eyes.
- Avoid makeup for recommended period of time.
- Avoid watching television.
- Avoid use of contact lenses for about 72 hours.
- Take prescribed medications regularly.
- Avoid physical exertion.
The procedure yields outstanding outcomes. You will get your desired eyelids and there will be a dramatic change in your facial looks. The results for upper eyelids usually last for about 5 to 7 years and more in some cases. On the other hand, if you get a lower eyelid procedure, you may require repeated sessions to manage the results.
Eyelid surgery is a surgical procedure that is used to enhance the appearance of upper and lower eyelids by removing sagging skin, lines and excess fat.
- Patients with excessive, sagging or wrinkled upper or lower eyelid skin.
- Patients with excess upper eyelid skin that interferes with vision.
- Patients with excessive or unsightly lower eyelid skin.
- Patients who have lost their natural upper eyelid crease.
- Patients with puffy pouches of fat in the upper or lower lids that create a tired or aged appearance.
- A more youthful and rested appearance of the eyes.
- Widening of visual fields, if excessive upper lid skin has partially blocked vision.
- The removal of wrinkle lines, and softening of deep wrinkle lines.
Eyelid surgery is a long lasting procedure and can last up to 10 years.
There is no exact age to undergo an eyelid surgery but majority of the patients are usually in their forties and fifties.
- The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under sedation and local or general anesthesia.
- If only excess fat is present in the lower lids, it may be removed through an incision inside the lower lids (trans-conjunctival approach). This technique does not involve an external incision or scar, unless some excess skin needs to be removed as well.
- When excess skin needs to be removed from lower eyelids, an incision is made just beneath the eyelashes.
- When excess skin needs to be removed from upper eyelids, the incisions are made where the natural crease should be in the upper lids. Excess fat and skin are removed.
Eyelid surgery may take about 1.5 to 2.5 hours for both upper and lower eyelids.
Asian eyelid surgery is a procedure used to create double eyelid fold. However, a normal eyelid surgery is used to remove excess fat, puffiness and lines.
This surgery can be performed under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia. However, upper Blepharoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia alone.
For the first few days, there is swelling and bruising around the eyes, most of which is gone by the end of the first week. During this time with some make up and sun glasses you can go out in public.
Scarring is usually minimal and barely visible. The lower eyelid surgery can be performed from behind the eyelid without causing a scar on the outside.
Some major complications associated with eyelid surgery are infection, bleeding, scarring ectropion and intrpion (outward and inward pulling of the eyelids respectively) and in small number of cases impairment of vision.
Results of double eyelid surgery are permanent.
The cost of the treatment depends on various factors which include expertise of your surgeon, location of the clinic, guaranteed results, your expected results, and other related aspects. It is necessary to consult with an experienced surgeon to know the exact cost.
If you need to undergo the latest Blepharoplasty surgery in Dubai, choose a well reputed clinic and experienced surgeon. Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic® is a well recognized clinic known for its specialized staff members and exceptional services. It offers eyelid surgery. To get a FREE consultation with one of our experts, just fill in the form given below.
Written By: Asiya F. Bokhari