Women who have had their breasts removed as a result of breast cancer treatment or as a preventive measure against the disease often want to have their breasts rebuilt. Breast reconstruction in Dubai is a surgical procedure performed by a plastic surgeon. It is specially designed to restore breast appearance achieving about the same size and shape as before. A plastic surgeon can even reconstruct the nipples and the darker region around it - the areola.
Who are the Candidates?
You are a good candidate for breast reconstruction surgery in Dubai if:
- You have undergone full or partial mastectomy and want to have a normal shape and size of breasts.
- You have undergone breast conservation therapy that caused deformity of the breast.
- You do not smoke.
- You have a stable weight and your BMI is not more than 30.
- You have good general health.
- You have realistic expectations from the procedure.
Breast reconstruction surgery restores the normal appearance of breasts affected due to mastectomy or trauma by making the following improvements.
- Improves the appearance of the breast to make it proportional to the other breast (when only one breast is removed).
- Creates the breasts with the same shape and size as the patient had prior to mastectomy (when both breasts are removed).
- Improves the symmetry of breasts.
- Makes breasts appear natural.
Breast reconstruction in Dubai can be done using several techniques depending on the requirements of the patient and the preference of the surgeon. The options include:
- Breast implants – breast implants are inserted in the mounds of breasts to restore their appearance.
- Flap reconstruction – involves taking tissue flap from other areas of the body including abdomen, buttocks, and thighs, and using it to reconstruct breasts. Various techniques are available for this procedure also.
- Combination of breast implants and flap – in some cases when women don’t have enough tissues to support implants, our plastic surgeons combine the above-mentioned procedures.
Some common preparatory tips include:
- Stop taking aspirin, blood thinners, any medications containing vitamins, and anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen.
- Follow the diet regimen suggested by the plastic surgeon.
Breast Reconstruction Procedure
Breast reconstruction in Dubai is mostly performed on an outpatient basis and takes up to 7 hours depending on the technique used. Since this treatment is performed using two techniques, the procedural steps vary. The procedures for both techniques are explained below.
- The first step of the procedure is the administration of general anesthesia.
- Then the surgeon will make incisions.
- After making incisions, implants are inserted into the breast mounds. Mostly, they are placed under the pectoral muscles.
- Finally, incisions are closed with sutures
- The first step involves administering general anesthesia.
- The surgeon will take the flap of skin and fat from your abdomen, thighs or buttocks using the most appropriate technique.
- The flap is then transferred to the breast for reconstruction.
Breast Reconstruction in Dubai has a lot of physical and psychological benefits. Some of them include:
- It restores the normal appearance of your breasts improving your whole physical appearance.
- It boosts your self-image and confidence and improves the overall quality of your life.
- It gives you visual confirmation of your health and wholeness after cancer or trauma.
Breast reconstruction recovery varies from patient to patient depending on the extent of surgery and technique used. But following the instructions of your surgeon can make it easier and comfortable for you.
- Flap reconstruction will require more time for recovery than breast implant surgery as healing has to take place in two areas.
- You will feel tired and sore for a few days after surgery but it is common and temporary.
- Swelling and bruising will take some time to subside completely.
- Drains and stitches are removed in one to two weeks.
- You will be able to return to your work in about four to six weeks.
Some tips are common, and nearly every patient has to follow them for a smooth recovery.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol as they can affect the healing process.
- Continue to take short walks and avoid complete bed rest.
- Do not lift heavy objects for a recommended period of time.
- Do not perform any vigorous activity that can raise your heart rate or blood pressure.
- Wear compression garments and a surgical bra for a recommended period of time.
Breast Reconstruction Results
The final results of the surgery help lessen the emotional and physical impact of mastectomy. The outcomes of the surgery are permanent and you won't have to undergo any additional surgery until your implants rupture or leak.
Breast reconstruction in Dubai has been successful for more than 25 years. But there are some women who face complications after this surgery. These complications can be;
- Blood clots can block some deep veins
- Feel pain for 3 or 4 weeks after surgery
- Collection of fluid near the implant
- Flap failure
- Wound infection and inflammation
- Change in the shape of the breast after implant
- Unequal breasts
- Implant fluid leakage
- Abdominal hernia
- Breast firmness and implant rupture
If the implant is inserted directly into the breast, you can experience the problem of body tissue reconstruction. This surgery does not damage breast health but in some cases, patients have to face some complications.
Dr Thomas Colson
Dr. Federico Di Francesco MD
Prior consultation is highly recommended by our expert surgeons. This session will allow you to clear all your queries, discuss your medical history with our surgeons, discuss your goals, and other important aspects. Our surgeon will provide you realistic information so that you can make a better decision for yourself. We are offering the initial consultation free of cost. Also, we have made it easy for you to schedule your appointment. Simply fill the form below and one of our correspondents will get back to you as soon as possible. So, don’t hesitate and get your appointment now!